The present evolution of human society, the continuation of the historical stages, with slower or more rhythmic movements, is surprised by challenges regarding the orientation towards new economic, social formulas, in which human knowledge is called to bring its contribution in the construction of a new society. a new, more efficient economic system.
The modern era is distinguished by a more demanding demand for resources, by their degradation and thinning, generated by the growth and economic development, worldwide, by the increase of the population. The predictions of some studies show the possibility of population growth, globally, from 6.9 billion inhabitants, currently, to 9 billion, over a few decades, considered as one of the biggest challenges of the 21st century. Adding to the above the need (continuously growing), energy, of post-industrialized or industrializing countries, in addition, the imbalances already experienced in the ecosystem (climate change, soil degradation, irrational exploitation), outlines the impact that growth needs (unlimited) has on resources (limited) and, respectively, on the evolution of human society, which reveals the importance of studying this phenomenon.
The current issue regarding the relations between the central and the local government, respectively between the institutions of public administration and those of the local administration, of the decision-makers in the field of development policies, has been a subject of debate, in which actors from the political, scientific environment are involved. -academic, universities, civil society.
These debates, through the chosen solutions, must lead to finding out the ways, the possibilities to identify and use the development resources as efficiently as possible, the capacity to make them as productive as possible.
In this context, the choice of this topic for the doctoral thesis "Centralization versus local autonomy in the management of development resources", aimed to study and understand how to allocate and use development resources, capturing some of the characteristics and elements more favorable or weaker , in the development of the processes, as they are developed in the chapters of the paper.
In essence, the author mentions some issues, which can be considered as elements of remark, in the study:
• emphasizing the importance of the phenomenon of economic growth and development, as a determining factor for the functioning and dynamics of an economy, the supporting element being the existence and use of development resources;
• the variety of types of resources was highlighted and presented in the form of their classification by categories of resources and criteria, represented in a detailed scheme;
• in the presentation of the allocation of development resources, the circuit of resources in the process of obtaining goods was followed, gradually, corresponding to the forms of manifestation of human activity and the evolution of society. the relationship between the decision-making methods, centralized - decentralized and the two theoretical models of the exchange economy (conductor, market economy) was highlighted;
• elaboration of a case study regarding the analysis of the public administration expenses in the European Union countries, in 2015 and the evolution, in dynamics, in the period 2007-2015;
• highlighting the forms of transfer, gradually, of the decision-making authority, from the most diluted form of decentralization, to its last stage, local autonomy and, correspondingly, the allocation of resources on each stage;
• a parallel between the administrative regimes based on the two principles of manifestation of authority (centralization-decentralization), particularities, influence in the use of resources;
• in the case of the forms of structuring the activity of an organization were identified and presented, comparatively, within the two forms of structuring the decision-making authority in an organization, the advantages and disadvantages of each, the distinctions between the two forms, and the consequences regarding the exercise modalities, of each formula on the results of the company's activity;
• emphasizing the importance of the region in the use of resources;
• presentation of a case study regarding the regionalization models practiced in the EU, in terms of the autonomy of the regions;
• a comparison between the forms of traditional public administration and the new public management, with the emphasis on the relationship between responsibility and efficiency, which marks the distinction between the two models;
• highlighting other mechanisms that lead to increasing competitiveness, oriented towards a sustainable economic growth of states / regions, through an efficient use of resources: smart specialization as a strategy for using resources, clusters, element of economic growth.